Saturday, June 14, 2008

Hamlet...take 2...truth, isolation and faith

Well, I think I found him - it sounds like him, anyway. These discussion forums can be very intriguing. It is quite stimulating to talk with such heavy thinkers, especially Hamlet. Well, some of them, anyway. In a recent conversation, questions were raised about exposure to 'wrong' ideas. In this particular forum, which is secular based, there are a number of atheists who post. I find this good for my ability to reason. I watch, mostly, and post little. I feel a little like a lamb among wolves, simply due to the fact that I know so little about their arguments. I'm afraid to speak up, lest I fall under attack like the cute little aliens in Galaxy Quest. On the other hand, I find that the questions scratch an itch in my mind. None of the questions or arguments challenge my faith in God. On the contrary, if I change my mind about something I believed, based on Scripture, then I've grown. I am not swayed by their heavy handed blasting of God, though it saddens me. And not all of them do this. We are challenged to be in the world, but not of the world. These are real people, who have real questions, and maybe I can learn something or be used by God to teach.

In the movie, Thr3e, I found the premise challenging. Ted Dekker uses the circumstance of a young man who is in seminary, writing his thesis on the good, the evil and the person stuck in between. In the process of writing his thesis, an unresolved conflict comes to the fore. His Aunt, who raised him, states that children should be 'isolated with the truth.' But it is very clear that 'her' truth is a conflagration, fanned by intentional deception. The Uncle, when asked when he has left his house, wonders, "why should I leave the house?" And the Aunt states that evil and confusion (not a direct quote) are 'out there.' Hm! Isolated with the truth...

The Scripture says that 'You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.'

My mind is spinning some questions from the forum that might be raised as a result of this statement - Whose truth? and Free from what?

Food for thought.

No comments: