Monday, June 16, 2008

VBS and a little 'extra' time

A lot of us take our kids to VBS during the summer. My friend told me she does about 3 every summer! Some moms, like my friend, think it is wonderful, while others find it to be detrimental to their child training. I've seen both, in my experience. I only have two who are still young enough to go, and two more who are helpers, which is a good thing, too. (My life is changing drastically...I also have two who are working!) Wow! Just think on that a minute!

So this week I have some time alone with my 14, almost 15ds. What will we do? We'll study the Bible (he wants to study the 10 Commandments in depth, and we've gotten on this kick about Open Theism, Molinism, and other 'heresies'. I believe that in order to understand the ideas of liberty of conscience, one of my other blogs, we must have a clear understanding of the nature and charcter of God. Without that, LOC can go awry very quickly. So, while talking with Hamlet, some of these things have come up, and Josh is excited about determing not only his own belief but how to answer the questions of others. So, off we go! Our first quest? Winkie Pratney. 2nd will be Charles Finney. Who knows who/what is next?! All surrounded by searching the Scriptures, of course.

Since I process verbally, talking to Hamlet and to my children is as good as any good cup of coffee for me.

Another thing I'm doing is writing. I simply can't help myself! The words boil in my mind until I type them (furiously) and spin them to some good end. Am I good? Well, I really have no idea! Some have scoffed at my writing, while others have told me they couldn't put down the story they got hold of. I'm learning not to be discouraged by the negative responses, though, truly, this is hard for me. The fact is, whether I'm good or not, I HAVE to write. I have a sense that God has given this to me. He is my biggest Cheer Leader (bet you didn't know that was one of His names!). If I do it to honor Him, then He is pleased.

I write to share biblical truths with others. That being the case, I have felt that I must publish. Either that, or give my stories out freely, which has been considered. I'm checking out self-publishing, as I know I'm not good enough to go with a standard publisher, simply because my name is not known. It has become apparent, in my research, that they care only about the income they will make off a writer, and not the content. I'd rather go for good content and leave the income to God. My coach told me that 'books sell because they sell.' It makes no difference if it's good or bad writing. I see this to be true, even for my own purchasing of books. I will buy books whose authors are known to me. We are creatures of habit. Fortunately, God does not make His choices by tradition.

Did I say God makes choices? Hm! Off to do more study! (Can you just hear the glee in my 'voice'?)

No comments: