Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Transcripts and Graduation

So I'm nearing the end of the 12th grade for my oldest son. This week, I've been writing up transcript information on worksheets that I got off the web. I think the one I liked the best was the one that HSLDA has on their site. There are some things that I wish we'd covered, but, for the most part, we've done okay.

Both my 18yo and 15yo are signed up with Number2.com, so that they can study for the SATs. We've never done any state testing. The reason I chose not to is because I felt 1. that they test differently than my children have learned, and 2. that I don't want the State tracking my children. I've never signed up with the State to register my home school, either. I believe, based on the Bible's instruction to parents, that it is my responsibility, and my husband's, to be sure that our children are educated. All of the particulars may not be in place, but if I have given my children a love of learning and have provided for them the learning environment in which to study, AND taught them from the Scriptures to reason, then I have done what I ought. Anyway, it will be interesting for all 3 of us to see how they do on the study questions. I'll most likely post something on that later.

I am amazed, actually, at all that my children are accomplishing, subject-wise, within the school year. It is really a lot. As I seem to always question my own aptitude and ability, I am encouraged by what I am seeing.

In addition to the paperwork and bookwork, I have seen such a sense of direction in my 18yo and 15yo. They are taking responsibility for their own education, scheduling their own days to accomplish their tasks. It is truly a blessing to watch. In fact, all of the kids seem to be 'catching it' this year. Perhaps a little late in the year for a few of them - but that's ok. They're catching it.

No comments: