Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Perceptions

Recently, a well-meaning friend indicated that it could not be possible that my 7yo was not yet reading. He can do math in his head that I can't even do, having been raised with the 'new math.' We're using Ray's with him and doing most of it orally, with only manipulatives. The actual digits came after he could count well, add and subtract. It seems to have done quite well for him. Since numbers and I don't get along, it is exciting to see him doing so well, without having to count on his fingers. I can see the difference quite easily, as my 13yo did not do Ray's and he struggles. Back we go, to drilling, drilling, drilling.

As for reading, the 7yo in question is just on the verge. We use Writing Road to Reading and he is working through the base phonics, and learning to put together the sounds. He read 10 words in our last lesson. After a review today, we'll test him to see if he is retaining. He's a boy. Seriously, this is often a common factor in reading a little later. It's not for lack of effort, but I see no reason to push him until he hates to read. I want him to own it. I want him to set the goal for himself...which he is doing. He's found some awesome books about animals that he wants to read (we're studying zoology) and he wants me to help him read his Learning to Read Bible. He'll get there...no need to fret.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha~ funny! thank you for your share~..................................................................

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.