Sunday, April 14, 2013

Ridin' the Wave

This year's home school journey was a little bumpy. Last year, we had three of us teaching, which, of course, makes it easier to manage. This year, my friend and I taught alone, as the 3rd mom went full time in ministry at our church. I'd like to post about what we did last year, too, but for now, I want to share a word of encouragement to those of you who feel like you're losing your steam.

I'd like to think that my children are self-motivating. I'd like to think that my children will raise their own bar to a place that is manageable, but still challenging. I'd like to think that my house will be clean when I come home from work. But, c'mon, let's be reasonable. I've been working 33 hours a week and am only home to home school 2 days a week. Every other Friday, my husband is off work, so that means that every other week, I only have 1 day to home school. Husbands, as dear as they are, are often not conducive to good home schooling. I don't know what planet I thought I was on, but my house is NEVER clean, the school work is not getting done and my children have been bored. In addition to that, new challenges at work have distracted me. Seasonal depression, perhaps? I don't know. But I do know that all of life flows up and down in the cycle of doldrums and OHWOWILOVETHIS! Okay, I'm not manic-depressive, so don't send me any emails about how meds are a good choice. But really, there are seasons, and there are cycles, and we all  need to roll with the punches. "Roll with it, Ba-by!"

Some of you who read this will relate to the challenge of home schooling while working. I get asked that question at least once a week. "How do you home school when you're here (at work) so much?" Sometimes I have not known how to answer. Other times I've run to the bathroom to cry my eyes out. But all in all, I tend to ride the wave and come back out on top.

One of my biggest challenges is correcting homework. Papers, in particular. I can ask them to correct each other's homework and tests, sometimes. Thankfully, I still have 4 of them at home and this is feasible. But one of my friend's sons sent me a google doc to read months ago and I STILL have not read it.

This is not ideal. And I sometimes yell at God about my 'predicament.' But it is unavoidable at the moment. And so I will ride that wave and enjoy the times on the crest of it because it's what I do. It does, after all, say 'Mom' on my uniform. I know, some of your are thinking, My mother told me there would be days like this.

And she did.

Organize:
You must be organized in order to keep things rolling. There is nothing so disheartening as letting things lapse until you can't even find your teacher guide.
Keeping them organized is included in that directive.

Simply:
Set things up so that you don't have to do them twice. I once heard this about house keeping - never touch anything twice if you can complete it the first time you touch it. So I try to do that with mail. It comes in the house, I open it, throw away most of it, file some of it and deal with the rest. Done. This is a good and reasonable directive for a working/home schooling mom.

Delegate:
Teenagers are the worst, often, about following through with tasks YOU give them. When they want to do something, they're all about it. But if you ask them, they become Tard, the Grumpy Cat. Delegating can  be to another mom you trust, to your husband, to your older children, but all of it not only benefits you, but it benefits them as well. Even if they don't recognize it.

Don't stress:
This too shall pass. Things will get better. Stay focused, ride the wave, keep reminding your children you care, spend as much time with them as you can, and pray. God often steps in where you feel yourself sinking. But if not, just keep swimming, just keep swimming....

Ok, I know I came into this room for a reason...really. there was something...but a blog happened instead. Okay, I'll just roll with it.

More later (because I always have something more to say).

No comments: