Saturday, July 5, 2008

July 4th, or Where has the reverence gone?

July 4th is one of my favorite holidays.

Before we moved, we attended a celebration at a college, on the green. It was the most moving July 4th celebration I've ever attended. Everyone placed their blankets down, rolled their picnic coolers up and enjoyed the sun and company. Red, White and Blue were everywhere. Pompoms were sold, and little flags. Booklets were handed out, with the words to all of the major patriotic songs, so that everyone could join in with the music.

We stood for the National Anthem. We said the Pledge of Allegiance. Military people were honored. A men's choir sang the patriotic songs and everyone sang with them. The fireworks were choreographed with patriotic music...

It was a most moving experience, one that remains with me.

In contrast, I have not found a public celebration, since that time, that even compares. It's just a big party, and an excuse to flaunt flesh and drink beer.

Ok, maybe I'm over-reacting, but I can't help but wonder, where has all the respect gone?

No comments: