Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fall Cleaning

Meeting with the Deputy for a full eight hours did something to me. There is a significance to his 'job' that stems from the way he lives life. No moment is wasted, because every one is precious. Isn't this the way of the 'normal Christian life'? I have been somewhat pensive since my foray into serving and protecting. Is my life significant? Am I leading my children in significance, and modeling it? These are good questions to ask, especially as I enter our school year.

Every year, just before school starts, I renew the vision that God gave me. If I don't, He tends to renew it for me. This year, I was floundering a little. So He renewed my vision through a 38yo man of character who spoke simply about the work he does while I sat in awe - not even so much in awe of him, I mean, he's just a man, after all. But I was in awe of the truth, the honestly, the humility and the courage that I want so much for myself. I spend so much time with my children...and this is not a bad thing. But occasionally, I need to meet with adults who have as much substance as this Deputy.

I have some friends who are like this as well. Some in Cali, and some here in CO. But I must admit that they are far and few between. When you find them, you want to hold on and not ever let go. You want what they have to rub off on you. Do I show such character? Does anyone want me to rub off on them? I am an average sort of person. But is my life affecting others in a significant way? It is a question that drives me to my knees.

In spending so much time with my children, I tend to get to a point where I run dry. I feel used up and tired. I sort of steel myself for the last few laps. This is so different from what I have just experienced. Sheer tenacity to reach a finish line is so much less than the experience of being fueled, of being lifted toward the shore by the current that leads you home. This - this is vision.

The Bible says that a people without vision will perish. I see it. I have a whole new understanding of it. It's not necessarily that they will be wiped out. You understand? It's that they may continue on, without a destination, without a purpose, without any significance to the steps that they take. This is the saddest existence that I can imagine.

If I can model a life that moves in the footsteps of Enoch, I will be content. Of all the heroes that I can imagine, Enoch is at the top of that list. He walked with God. He has, what? one sentence, maybe two, in the Bible about him. He has no long story of heroic acts. But he walked with God and then he was no more, because God took him.

I don't know if 'my' Deputy believes in God, but he has led me to a deeper appreciation of following God, of walking daily. Who better to give me a clear vision than the One who sees all?

"Oh God, you are my God. Earnestly will I seek You."

1 comment:

Jandom media! said...

Lisa -

Thank you for your latest entry. It was a good reminder to me...being a wife of a State Trooper....of what a hero he truly is. I've been on my hubby's case lately to give up his occupation to use his giftings and amazing abilities for something else...the hours, the possibilities of danger, the treatment from some members of the public are draining on him, me and the entire family. (I also want him to quit so we can move to an area with a PA school.) Thank you for your respect and admiration for those called to this field.

Lori in Wisconsin
P.S. I've been so short on time lately that I've had limited time to read the PA blogs...I found several of your last few entries interesting.