Monday, August 11, 2008

School is looming ahead...

OK, well, maybe it's actually here. I've had 5 of my kids ask to start now. So off we go. We're putting together binders, and ordering books. We're signing up for things, and laying out the schedule, talking about jobs for my two oldest boys.

My 'best laid plans' have been changed, of course, as they always are. For instance, I'm not doing Human Physiology yet, but Biology. Ah, well, we'll get there. :-) It's actually a good move.

So, we have:
Old World History review, along with Geography and Literature.
American History, Geography and Literature.
Government will continue from last year, as we tackle the US Constitution, using 'Steve' as our curriculum guide.
Grammar and Spelling, of course, using Rod & Staff and Writing Road to Reading. We're adding Latin this year.
Biology, for the whole family, but geared to Jr. High/High School level.
Advanced Physics (thankful for Ted, who is teaching it) for Brian (and Josh may sit in)
Theology, self - directed by questions, such as Who is God?, What is man?, How are we saved?, etc.
Bible includes reading the Bible in a year, and WTB charts to supplement. Josh is adding Greek to his own studies.
Two of the boys are heading into Algebra, while the rest are still working their way through the beginning of Ray's. Brian is self-directed in Algebra, along with Physics.
Brian never finished Chemistry, which is simply because he hated it. He had determined that he will finish it along with the rest of his work load.
Brian may continue with CAP for one more year. His only hesitation is that it feels more like a club. He wants to do search and rescue and Encampment, NRA certification and survival training.
I think we're doing co-op again.
Dance is on Mondays for 1.5 hours, down in town, one day a week.
Each of the kids has a night that they plan for and cook dinner.
For PE, we are only running/walking a mile every day, twice a day. I can't afford sports. And I can't run, due to sciatica. Getting old - in fact, today is my birthday. :-)

My mother is moving out here soon, so I have to plan for that, too.

Life in the fast lane - boo yah!

1 comment:

Jandom media! said...

Happy birthday! Hope all is well. I think of you often and appreciate your dedication to things "PA."

Lori in Wisconsin